Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Cranberry Oat & Honey Cinnamon Almond Bread

Superman's one weakness, kryptonite, has nothing on mine. Alright, so I may have more than one kryptonite (chocolate, ice cream, wine, my dog..etc), but one of the topers on my I-simply-cant-resist-it list is bread. Soft, warm, crusty edged bread. Any kind of bread. I love it with olive oil, natural peanut butter, banana slices, honey, jam, brie. However you got it, i'll take it. I could never do the no carb/low carb diet. The thought of never eating a toasted roll with dinner or a slice of homemade bread for breakfast just makes me sad.
Dessert breads tend to be my favorite, except it kills me when I look at how high the calorie content can be in some of them. Not even just the calories, but the fat and the sodium content can be ridiculous! So, when I found this recipe on Eat Yourself Skinny I knew I had to try it. Healthier AND cheap to make? Let's go.
Ready for some delicious Cranberry Oat & Honey Cinnamon Almond bread? 
I know I am.



You had me at Cranberry.

Instead of oil, I used applesauce. Applesauce is a great alternative to oil because it still makes the breast moist but with much fewer calories. You can also use plain yogurt in substation for oil to! I wanted to make it with fresh cranberries, but since they aren't in season right now I had to settle for the dried ones. If you do come across fresh cranberries, grab them, and instead of 1 cup, make it 2. Also, you may have noticed there is no added sugar to this recipe besides the tsp of brown sugar to sprinkle on top for a little extra sweetness. That is because the honey replaces the need for addd sugar.
 Yum! Whose ready to bake?


What you'll need:
Recipe altered from Eat Yourself Skinny & AllRecipes


2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
1 cup quick cooking oats
3/4 cup honey
1/3 cup applesauce
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup fat-free milk
1 cup of dried cranberries
Several crushed almonds
(I suggest BlueDiamonds Cinnamon almonds...They are SO good!)
1 tsp of brown sugar








Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan, or do like I did, to spare having to wash extra dishes, and line the pan in tin foil and spray with a non stick cooking spray.  In a medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and oats.  



After you sift the dry ingredients together, in a larger bowl mix together honey, apple sauce, vanilla, eggs and milk.  Mix in flour mixture gently.  Then stir in cranberries and pour into baking pan. Crush the almonds (or walnuts, pecans, mini chocolate chips - moderation is key!), and sprinkle them on top of the dough along with some more oats, and the tsp of brown sugar. Bake for about 40 minutes and you have a crusty, moist, and healthier alternative to the bread you're craving!

Enjoy you skinny mini!
xox


Average Cost for Ingredients:
$21.75

Average Cost per Serving:
$1.81
Nutritional Information:


Servings: 12
Serving Size: 1 slice 
Calories: 137
Fat: 4 g
Carbs: 27.5 g
Fiber: 1.7 g
Protein: 3.9 g

No comments:

Post a Comment